Sunday, April 22, 2018

Fixing a Puncture on the Road

Yesterday the thing I dread most about cycling happened. I got a puncture. Not too far away from home but not a very walk able distance either. I was around 7 kms away from home. Right in front of All India Radio office. It was around quarter to six in the morning when it happened. It was the front tyre.

I will write down chronologically the exact chain of events. But first my mental reaction. "Oh God. Had to happen on a day when I am not carrying my pump. Didn't I just see Rana cross and wave at me near Eden Gardens (he was going towards Mohun Bagan stadium and I was headed towards HSBC)? He usually carries a pump on his back pocket. Let me see if he receives the phone. I have the spare tube in my saddle bag. Or shall I just get a cab and hop in? Feeling like I perhaps need a potty break. Can I wait for that long?"

I first took out my phone and switched off Strava. Next I phoned Rana. He not only received my phone but said most reassuringly, "just wait where you are. I am coming." After about ten minutes he came along. We met near the traffic island in front of the cenotaph where the road forks out towards AIR and Eden Gardens. 

I had half a mind to take a cab and just go home. Rana took the pump out and said, "do you have the tube?" I said yes. He said, change it. Sit comfortably on the side walk of the island and change the tube and then go home. "Oho Rana. Let me just take a cab home." "Dada, you take a cab. No problem. But first change the tube and then take a cab. You will not get another opportunity very soon of doing it on the road. Just do it. Don't avoid it." 

I thought what he says makes eminent sense. Instead of chickening out I should take the battle head on and win it. Once you go through the process next time you will be more confident. The conditions were right. Weather was fine. Hardly any people. India has this problem of onlookers crowding around you when they see you doing something on the road. Most importantly, I would not be completely alone. Rana would be around. 

Rana said he would be cycling around this area and come once every 15 minutes or so to check out on my progress. He was going in rounds along the route of Strand Road - Princep Ghat - Police Training School - Victoria - Fort William - Red Road. Those who are familiar with Calcutta would know this is a circular stretch of about 5/7 kms. 
I parked the bike against a lamp post. Looked at the watch. It was 6:08 am. 

Step one. Take the tools out and keep them ready. I took my tools out of the saddle bag. The spare new tube a Maxxis 700C 18-25 with a 48 mm valve stem, the Park Tool tyre lever set. That's all one needs really. 

Step Two. Take off the wheel. This takes a few seconds. I took off the front wheel. Next was to take the tube out. I had to struggle a bit with the levers. But finally I managed to take the tube out. To my utter surprise I discovered, the tube had still some air left in it and wasn't quite completely flat. I pushed the air out. I had half a mind to try and pump on the same tube and go home. Then I thought, what's the point. When the main work is done, might as well change the old tube. 

I cleaned the inside of the tyre but found nothing. I guess this was a very fine hidden sort of leak. I will have to research this out. The tube lasted for about 650 kms.

Now came the confusing part. The OE tube which had developed a puncture sits snug on the wheel. But this new tube was slightly longer than the OE one. About an inch more. Did I get the right size? I got a tad nervous here and decided to wait for Rana. Soon enough he arrived on the scene. I explained to him the problem. He checked it out and said nothing was wrong with the size. Push it in Dada. "By the way, why did you take off the entire tyre from the wheel?" "Well, I kind of thought this is the right thing to do." OK. Go ahead and put it back. 

Now started the struggle to put the tube round the wheel and fit the tyre back on. I cannot remember exactly what I did but there were lots of trial and errors and finally I succeeded in putting the damn thing back on. One of the tricks to know here is that use both your hands to put the tyre's edge back on so that it is done uniformly on both the sides. 


Next step was pumping the tube up. Rana's small pocket size pump did a wonderful job here. I do not know how much pressure it managed to create but it felt tight pretty soon; the tyre felt tight enough to take me home. After a few quick photographs I put the wheel back on. It had taken a total of 40 minutes to do the complete job. I think next time I can finish it in 20 minutes. I am more than certain.

All photographs taken after the tube was changed

Rana came along once again. I returned his pump with a lot of thanks. He indeed not only saved me, he gave me the courage and encouragement to earn this important right of passage in the world of cycling. My father would have been very proud of me. He always wanted me to learn this very important job of how to fix one's own punctures. But I could never learn it because we did not have youtube in those days. I am sure yesterday he saw me do it from wherever he is. I am very grateful to you for instilling these ambitions in me. Too bad you cannot see it all or I cannot go back home and tell you these stories. 

Lessons Learnt

1. I should have known the tube was bad even before starting. I found it was almost flat in the morning when I started. Tubes lose some air when you don't ride for some time. But they don't go flat like that. Alarm should have rung when I found the back wheel did not lose that much pressure. 

2. Always carry all your equipment. Pump, spare tube and levers. I was lucky I had Rana. I might not have him. I normally carry my small pump. But these days since I am riding mostly within city limits I got a little casual. But I have to remember that walking seven kilometers with a flat tyre bike is not easy or comfortable.

3. Should have perhaps checked out the new tube (Maxxis bought from Good Earth) in the comfort of my house rather than on the road. I have already ordered for the next tube. A Schwalbe 700 18-28C with 60 mm valve (my OE needs 48 but this brand does not seem to have that size. 40 or 60 - I chose 60). 

4. Don't be afraid of soiling your hands but you can use the gloves to take the wheel out. Also, overcome the inhibition to squat on the footpath. After completing the job, I used the water from my drinking bottle to wash my hands.

5. Have to practice taking off the rear wheel. It is not as easy as the front wheel. Particularly putting it back on. I have done it a few times. But it's like those tougher chapters in Mathematics. You do it once and then avoid, thinking you will somehow manage in the exam hall. In the exam hall a friend my bail you out but on the street there will be no one to help you.

6. Must carry small change for Sulav Souchalaya and some toilet paper in the saddle bag.

Epilogue

As I was riding back home slowly down the road near Victoria and it had gotten a bit late by my standard (around 7ish) I saw a group of amateur photographers out on their morning shooting practice. The probably spotted me before I did and started clicking me in all seriousness. I guess with my red bicycle and orange jersey I was perhaps looking like a professional cyclist to them (but a complete MAMIL to myself). I smiled at them. That possibly spoilt their frame but I surely felt like winning a stage in le Tour de France.

Back Home

Just checked the punctured tube. A. The core of the valve is possibly a fixed one and cannot be removed to apply Loctite (incidentally it is available in India now through Henkel). B. The pressure in the tube that I fixed on the road was just 20 psi. Disappointingly low and could cause another puncture if I had hit a hole in high speed. But as I said, it felt pretty tight to finger pressure. I have to check how good my own pump is. C. The air loss problem is not with the valve. There indeed is a leak that has developed just under the valve area. I filled the tube with a lot of air and sunk it in water. Bubbles immediately started coming out from a point. Possibly in low pressure the air loss isn't much. But nevertheless it is not insignificant. I am tempted to buy a puncture repair kit and fix it myself to keep it as a spare tube.

Fixing The Puncture

Certain things about Calcutta are so disgusting. After discovering the small puncture in the OE tube I was in a dilemma. Whether to fix it myself or get it done by one of the street side repair guys. I thought DIY would mean investing in a few patches, some cement and a piece of sandpaper (these repair guys typically paste the sandpaper around a small metal tube and make a nice sanding block that is useful). I have no problem with the investment but since I don't foresee too many punctures happening in the future I thought investing in the full kit would be a waste of money. Also the cement might freeze by the time the next puncture develops.

So last evening I went to the nearest puncture repair guy in the neighbourhood. This is a small shop near the Mudiali Meat Shop and they repair motorcycle, car and commercial vehicle tyres and tubes. I went with the OE tube and my mini pump because I foresaw them saying, "we don't have the adapter to pump this valve" etc. This bored looking Bihari shop owner (who didn't have any customer) took a casual look at the tube and said, "no we cannot do this" and looked the other way. I told him that I had the pump but he refused to listen, saying this is too small for them. He refused to get into any discussion and kept saying, "go to a cycle repair shop".

There is a second shop right next to the guy. This fellow didn't look as bored but he also denied. I asked him what is wrong and why is a cycle tube so different from a car tube. He said, this type of rubber is too thin and we don't have the right file to clean it. Our files would tear the rubber. Go to the cycle repair guys. They will do it with a sand paper !!!

Today I went to the nearest cycle repair shop. This is just before Grand Saloon. The bugger is closed.  It was in the evening. Around 7.30 pm. He is not even a shop. Just sits by the road side with a floor standing pump and a wooden box with some tools. But I see him busy fixing a bike almost all the time.

Adamant. I went all the way to Kalighat Road (the friendly neighbourhood red light district) where there is a big cycle repair shop. It's a proper shop with 2/3 mechanics. This bugger is also closed. Had to come back home fuming.

However, I learnt to push out the last mili gram of air out of the tube. You just roll it up like a tooth paste tube, working towards the valve and keep pressing the valve from time to time. Every single drop (?) of air would come out and the tube would become completely flat.


No comments:

Post a Comment